Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mommy Mac's Chili

Hi there! So I am not a recipe cooker. I usually just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and somehow it turns out delicious. I guess I am just lucky. I do have a banging recipe for Chili though. I have made it for football games, parties, potlucks as well as many other gatherings and I always get people asking for the recipe. Well I am not a selfish person and I would love to share the recipe as long as my friends still come over to enjoy my food. So here we go:

Mommy Mac's Chili:

- 1 lb. of ground beef (I sometimes get the 1.25 or 1.35 lb packages which is fine. Just try to stay between 1 and 1.5 lbs.)
- 1 lb. of stew beef (The same rule above applies for this. Also, cut the meat into about 1-1.5 inch pieces since most places leave it pretty big).
- 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped in about 1 inch pieces
- 1 red pepper, chopped in about 1 inch pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
- 1 package of chili seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons of Franks red hot sauce (This is to taste. If you like it hot add more. If you don't start small and add until you are satisfied)
- 1.5 tablespoons Sofrito
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garlic Salt to taste

1. Saute garlic, onions and peppers in some EVOO in a wok until slightly soft. About 2 minutes. Salt and Pepper vegetables while they cook.
2. Add ground beef and stew beef to the pepper, onion mixture until meat is well browned.
3. Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and mix well
4. Cook on high for 2 hours, then on low for 1 hour.
5. Serve with any additional toppings you like on chili. However, it is necessary that you go out and get a good loaf of Italian bread. Butter the bread generously (The butter will melt into the hot bowl of chili when you rest your bread on the bowl). Use the bread for dipping and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment