Monday, October 31, 2011

The Very Messy Caterpillar!!!

Alright, alright, so this project wasn't THAT messy. lol. I just love the play on words. So, I unfortunately cannot take credit for this awesome idea since I came across it on a random blog a few weeks back. I am not sure whose blog it was but if you are reading this, thanks for the idea!

What you will need:


  1. Egg Carton - preferably with no eggs in it :) (seriously though no eggs!)
  2. Some pipe cleaner...let your little one pick out the colors (Kayleigh loves picking things out, pajamas, shoes, socks etc). This is their project so the more they are involved the better
  3. Paint - OH BOY!
  4. Paint brush
  5. Scissors
  6. Markers (optional)
    Alright so now that you have run out to whatever store and spent some money on supplies, lets get started. We do all of our painting projects in the kitchen since our apartment is fully carpeted. I still put down some cardboard (broken down boxes) for easy clean up.

    Oh God, what is she going to do to me now?

    Leave the egg carton whole while the child is painting it even though we will just be using half. It's just easier for them. I also put little dollops of paint on the carton because it's easier for them and I feel like I am wasting less paint.








    The finished product...

    Cut the painted egg carton in half until you have what looks like a caterpillar! Poke two holes in one end for the pipe cleaners.

    Do I look like a caterpillar yet?
     Insert the pipe cleaners. Look how cute!


    Optional: Use marker to draw a face on the caterpillar and enjoy your child's creation!



    So now that you have created a caterpillar, how about we learn about them? Once a week, Kayleigh and I visit the library down our block. It has an indoor play area which she loves and I also take out about ten books to read to her during story time each night. Some moms think I am a little crazy, but I read to her each night for about fifteen to thirty minutes! She really loves it and it makes her happy and therefore makes me happy. Also, don't think you have to wait to start reading to your child. Kayleigh was two weeks old when I began reading to her. It calmed her down but I think it was just the sound of my voice. I can't just talk to a baby though, so reading was much easier.

    So here are some books I plan to read this week to Kayleigh as we learn about CATERPILLARS!

    • The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle - we actually own this book and read it almost everyday. Kayleigh pretty much knows the whole book by heart. If you haven't read this to your little one yet, it is guaranteed to be a favorite!
    • Ten Little Caterpillars, by Bill Martin Jr.
    • Arabella Miller's Tiny Caterpillar, by Clare Jarrett
    • The Crunching Munching Caterpillar, by Sheridan Cain
    • Charlie the Caterpillar, by Dom DeLuise
    • The Caterpillar and the Polliwog, by Jack Kent

    No comments:

    Post a Comment